Friday, November 18, 2011

Minoru jacket


The pattern has been released, I have my computer back and I managed to take decent pictures: that means I can finally show you my Minoru jacket!
Back in September I was lucky enough to be chosen as a pattern tester for this beautiful jacket. At first, I was a little intimidated by the design, I thought it would be a difficult garment to sew. It was my first experience with Sewaholic, I had only read somewhere on the Internet that the instructions Tasia gives with her patterns are great and I came to discover that they are actually awesome.
This jacket came together so quickly and without any accidents of any sort. I was so surprised! So, if you feel a bit intimidated... don't! You just need some experience with zippers and everything will be fine, I promise.


As far as fabrics are concerned, I decided I wanted a cozy, sweater feel, so I chose a heavyweight dark grey jersey for the outside and added some graphic interest on the inside using a black and white houndstooth printed cotton.
Another thing that surprised me about this jacket is the amount of compliments I received for it. And the faces people made when I told them I had made it myself! So rewarding! My mother even asked me to make her one for spring, in a lightweight cotton canvas (we'll see, mum).
My only regret about this jacket: not adding pockets to the outside. I'm one of those people that carries everything in her pockets, so I definitely miss them.
Since finishing the Minoru jacket, I bought the Pendrell blouse pattern and I can't wait to try it. I also have a few tips on princess seams, so stay tuned!


10 comments:

  1. Looks great! This jacket (along with a few other Sewaholic patterns) are on my wishlist, so I hope I can try it out at some point. I'm glad you say that it's not too hard, since I also thought it might be a little complicated for some parts (i.e. the hood and the lining. But I have yet to try a Sewaholic pattern, so I guess it's well worth it!) How was it working with jersey? Most of the other coats I've seen used wovens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Emilie
    It wasn't the best idea. Knits were not in the recommended fabrics but I really liked this jersey. I had to be careful not to stretch the fabric while sewing and pay extra attention installing the zipper (so that it wouldn't look wonky). In the end, I'm satisfied with my choice, but if I had to make another one, I'd go with a woven material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! I wasn't planning to make this jacket, but the more versions I see of it, the more I want one! Yours is my favorite by far! I would also add pockets-- I keep my hands rammed in my pockets whenever I'm wearing a jacket and I don't usually carry a purse, so they're always filled with all my stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look so cozy for cool, breezy days. You did an awesome job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @gingermakes
    Aww, Thank you so much! We're the same with pockets!

    @Carla
    Thank you! It really does a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you are lucky! I just got my pattern on saturday and am looking for a nice fabric. I love your version having used sweater like fabric. Actually, I am quite intimidated to sew this jacket. It really looks difficult and the hood with zippered collar freaks me out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @nette
    Nette, I'm more than sure that if I made it, you can make it! It really is way easier than it looks, you'll say I was right in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket is very nice. Looks very professional and I like the fact that you tried a knit fabric. With so many great knits and fleeces on the market, your example gives a nice alternative. One way to work with knits on such a project is to stabilize those areas that tend to stretch. A lightweight fusible interfacing in those areas will prevent the zipper wobble and pocket droop. Always test on scraps so you do not melt your fabric though! A strip of seam tape on the shoulder will help that line remain stable and will increase the wear of the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited to see that you made the Minoru in a knit. When I first saw the pattern, what my mind went to was a comfy but super cute sweatshirt hoodie to layer at work (I work in a science lab). But, I see you've said you'd favor wovens for this pattern after your experience. I'll keep your advice (and Corrine's advice in her comment) in mind as I attempt to make my sweatshirt Minoru.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Corrine
    Thank you so much for the great tips!

    @Amy
    Wovens would make your work easier, but if you're confident in your skills, a knit shouldn't be a problem at all. The pattern is so great to work with anyway!

    ReplyDelete