Friday, June 21, 2013

Burdastyle Magazine 07/2013

There's quite a bit of WTF-ery in this issue, so let's get it out of the way first:
I get it. It's summer. It's hot. People want to wear "easy" clothes. But is a sewing magazine really the place for these things? THREE OF THEM?
There are a billion tutorials on the Internet for this kind of stuff, so do we really need them?
Besides, they look kinda tacky, even for swimsuit cover-ups.

And continuing down the lazy route, not one, but two maxi dresses with an elastic band. The first one actually probably has a woven band since it has a side zipper, but still, it's gathered rectangles of fabric with a rectangle band. Do we really need a pattern for this?
And who put that ugly belt on the (ugly) second dress? What were you thinking?

WHAT IS THIS? A hand towel incorporated in your dress?
Practical? Maybe. Pretty? NO.

 And again, WHAT IS THIS??? Overdesigned much? Those skirt panels hurt my eyes.

A sequined bathrobe. WOW. A new frontier of uselessness has been reached.
To be fair, this pattern is also presented as a jersey maxi cardigan with pockets, and it looks much better, but, as I'm almost tired to repeat, it's a bunch of rectangles sewn together. Almost anyone can figure it out without a pattern.

 This is not as f*d up as the patterns above, but it's oh-so-tacky. Ew.

This... uuh, I don't know what to say. It's not something I'd make for myself, but it has interesting details. Maybe someone could make it work.

Finally, here are the patterns that I find kind of cute in this issue.
Would I buy the issue just for them? No, and I won't.
I don't like them near enough to trace them off those nightmarish sheets and add seam allowance, but they're not bad, no? 

4 comments:

  1. Sometime I wonder if they still want to sell the magazine. Lately I go to the library to get the magazine and trace the one pattern that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! It's the first time I've heard the term WTF-ery but I think it's an apt description! I might have to steal that one! I don't think I've ever seen a Burda magazine but I see the patterns that come out on Burda style and only rarely do I like any enough to buy them. Usually even if I do like them I'm deterred from it by the thought of adding in the seam allowances! Why on earth do they do that? Is it a European thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added you via coletterie today. This was first post of yours on my bloglovin! Class! Had me laughing so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaa, its fastidious conversation on the topic of this
    piece of writing here at this weblog, I have read all that, so now
    me also commenting here.

    Also visit my blog post - gold watches

    ReplyDelete