Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sewing and pressing: update


Thank you so much to all those who gave me feedback on my post about ironing and pressing. You gave me such great ideas that I thought to collect them all in one post for future reference.

  • Many of you suggested to use an iron with an automatic shut-off feature. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I didn't know such feature even existed (I guess I've always used "mediocre" irons). This is definitely a good way to save electricity and something I'll be looking for when buying a new iron.

  • Nat and Suzy redirected me to a post on Karen's blog where she explains that leaving the iron on for an hour or switching on and off 5 or 6 times in the same time does not make a big difference on your bill. So, if you're going to use it a lot, it's probably more efficient to leave it on (Sallie confirmed it).

  • Alice, Nat and Chie suggested to make more seams as possible before passing to the pressing process, and it's somethink I already do and saves a lot of time and energy.

  • Indigorchild sent me a link to a post on Grainline's blog where she uses a very small iron. It's from Clover and could be great for pressing seams and smaller tasks.

Finally, I have one more little solution I forgot to include in my previous post. For fabrics that are easy to press and smal tasks, I have a little travel iron that heats up in about a minute and requires less energy than a full-sized iron. I got it from ebay and find it very practical.

 
One more thing: coincidentally, Gertie wrote a post on pressing seams open yesterday, so maybe you'll see more on this subject there.

2 comments:

  1. My previous iron was quite cheap and didn't have any options. A new iron was top of my Christmas wish list and I got one which is a wonder to press with. And actually the better the iron the quicker you press and less time you spend :)

    ReplyDelete