Friday, July 20, 2012

La Mia Boutique 08/2012

Hello, there!
I'm back after a short absence with the new issue of our beloved magazine. It's packed with beautiful mini dresses, which I wouldn't wear because I'm too paranoid about my thighs, but can still appreciate.

I immediately fell in love with this dress; those gorgeous pleats at the neckline create a nice volume in the rest of the dress. As I said, I don't feel comfortable wearing very short dresses (without tights) and I feel that making this longer would ruin the proportions and might make it look like I'm wearing a sack. I might try to turn this into a top, though... Maybe I'll eventually attempt a muslin.

Second crush of the month... I don't usually like asymmetrical dresses that much, but I love the pleated details of this one. The way they styled it, it looks very edgy, imho. Should I try to emulate it and wear it with leggings? My skin cringes at the very thought...

Again, beautiful pleats and asymmetry. I guess that's what inspired the designers this month and I couldn't be happier. I hate the beige fabric they used, but I think it would look stunning in jewel tones.

I guess if I wrote anything more about pleats or how I feel about my legs, someone would throw something at the computer screen, so I'll just point out that this model looks like she forgot her pants. Talk about MINI-dress! Granted, it's a look I see everyday in the streets, but that's no reason to promote it, dear LMB editors.

You might know I love me a front knot. This pattern could be an easy alternative to the Burda one, but... do I spy a hint of high-lo hem? NO THANKS.

Finally, a cute jacket. I don't need to comment on the peter pan collar, but I also really like the sleeve gathering in the cuffs. The bows on the pocket might be a bit too much even for me.

If you're brave enough to sew for your partner or for men in your life, there are also some men patterns in this issue.
To check them out, and to see the rest of the technical drawings, you can head out as usual to my Flickr set.

15 comments:

  1. I don't really like the colours they chose, I get that they are somewhat "desert inspired" but beige is just so bland and it looks like they just made musslins and not finished dresses. If the first dress was made of a colourful breezy chiffon I would love it and even ignore the fact that it's getting tighter at the hem...I would probably look like those naked people in old cartoons who wear a barrel with braces :D


    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EtK7jzfIB10/TvktpnFsL_I/AAAAAAAAJT0/pIeSbRBH0HA/s1600/fass.JPG I found a picture incase your childhood didn't include cartoons with naked people :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these patterns! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one that hated the high-low hems...they are mullet dresses! If there's only a msall difference in the hem lengths I can tolerate it, but I saw a person at the train station yesterday that had the difference between the hems be about a foot! In addition, there was no fluidity between the hems with a curve...it was a 90 degree plummet down. Ick. I really love the second asymmetrical dress, and I think that could be lengthened and still keep the proportions. (http://littlebitomeghan.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good issue! My favorite is the first one as well! Very pretty. I really like wearing mini dresses so no issues there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mi piacciono tutti!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I love these! I'm more a fan of the ones with more shape, but I can admire the styles on all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't normally like asymmetrical patterns that much either but that second dress is lovely! The first dress would work v well as a top IMO - I've seen a lot of rtw tops in that style. If you did make it longer though, you could wear it with a belt to stop it from looking too much like a big sack? I do love baggy dresses with belts to pull them in - they're v good for when you've eaten too much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the patterns you showcased. I do think you're right about lengthening that top one...dresses with that much volume need to be shorter. Go for the one with the leggings. I haven't worn a pair of leggings, but I do think I would with a tunic/short dress and boots. Almost like just heavier tights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DISQUS! Sweet tapdancing generic deity of love thank you! Thank you Paunnet! (Thank you Oprah, thank you Tom Cruise!) I've been spending a bit of time on recaptcha using blogs. No more. The first dress would rock as either a boxy top (over a pencil skirt) or a hip length blouse (chiffon?) over stovepipe jeans..#820 looks pretty awesome too. Man LMB are getting a bit of b*tch to find here in Oz X( Would be awesome to find an affordable subscription source!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I gave into it when I saw how well it works and how easy it is to check for replies.
    I'm sorry... Did you ask the Italian editor if they offer International subscription?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit of a snob about leggings, but you're absolutely right... It's just a matter of how you wear them. In fact, they look just fine on the model there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course, you have legs for miles! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ya they said it's expensive to send but at the moment it's $22 or thereabouts (incl. postage) surely it'll be cheaper than that to buy direct from them? Plus it won't be 3 months behind. The only ppl. offering subscriptions to Au are speedimpex and that ends up more expensive than buying in the mag shop XS

    ReplyDelete
  14. féenambulle fairyJuly 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

    These dresses are so beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love these patterns - how do you get hold of this magazine? Thanks Kirstie

    ReplyDelete