Saturday, August 6, 2011

Interview: Pattern Runway

As promised, here is the interview that Sarah from Pattern Runway very kindly gave me. Before I leave you to it, let me tell you that she also offered a 20% discount for my readers, using the code PAUNNET20, so run and take advantage of this nice offer!


1 - Introduce yourself: tell us something about where you live, your origins, hobbies, etc.
 Hello there! I'm Sarah from Pattern Runway and currently live in the very sunny Gold Coast in Australia. I love sewing and creating with a insatiable passion. I come from a Graphic Design background and have worked across both fashion and design fields and have taught both design, fashion and sewing here on the Gold Coast. I love making stuff! Anything from clothing, to homewears to baking pretty cakes and very recently learnt the fine art of baking gorgeous macaroons! 
 
2 - How did you start your business, Pattern Runway?
 I started Pattern Runway after teaching homesewing  and seeing the desire to sew is there and strong, but the pattern choices that closely follow fashion trends are limited! After working in the fashion industry and learning production sewing methods and patternmaking I wanted to try and create patterns that had slightly more streamlined sewing process and professional finishes! Hopeing to enable home sewers to sew professional looking garments that didn't end up unfinished and in the bin! (not sure how I'm doing with that :) ...)

Gathered Sundress

3 - How did you choose the name of your shop?
 Names are always such a hard one for me and a bit of a stumbling block! To be honest I'm still not entirely sure that this is the right name for what I'm trying to create! I liked it because it identifies the product, but has an association with fashion industry more so than the home sewing or craft industries. I started by writing down every word or name that was associated with what I do, then started combining words! There is though a hugely popular fashion design show (and merchandise) by the name of Project Runway.  Thats probably why "Pattern Runway" Sounded familiar when I started combining words! I really didn't mean to jump all over Project Runway!!! Hence why I'm not totally satisfied that its the one! 
 
4 - Do you have formal training (art, design, sewing, etc.)?
 I have a degree in Fine art, majoring in Graphic Design, and then fashion Industry experience. 
5 - Does your shop support you economically? If not, do you have another job?
 At the moment not yet. It certainly supports my Etsy addiction!  I work part time as a graphic designer aswell.  
 
Easy Short Sleeved Dress
 
6 - What are your main sources of inspiration?
 Hmm, I love clothing, beautiful clothing with attention to detail. I mainly get ideas from European designers and alot of blogs that I follow and of course the fantastic Aussie designers that we have, such as Fleur Wood, Little Joe, Secret Squirrel, Zimmerman etc as well as Vintage sewing books.
7 - What are the main satisfactions you get from your shop?
I think its just the satisfaction of creating something and then seeing what others do with it. Its a good creative outlet for me. 
8 - How and where do you advertise your business?
At this stage I haven't advertised at all! I have a blog (www.patternrunway.com) and a facebook page which has been fantastic! Thinking about doing a little stall at the Craft markets here on the Gold Coast but want to develop more patterns first!
 
Scalloped hem shorts

9 - Do you have any advice for who wants to start their own business/shop?
Ooh gosh, not sure that I'm qualified to offer advice yet!! I guess the only things I could say is: do what you love, even if its only part time, produce something of quality, love and care, always learn and have a teachable spirit!!
 
Thank you so much Sarah and keep up the good work! I'm definitely VERY excited to see what your next patterns will be!
A little side note: this will be my last post for the next two weeks. I'm going to the seaside to enjoy some beautiful Mediterranean weather... YAY! The downside is that I won't have any Internet connection, so no blog activity for me. I'll be back at the end of August to show you another project from Pattern Runway, the Gathered Sundress (which I'm in love with).
 
See you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Loved the questions and answers. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read, then jumped in with that awesome discount and just printed out the gathered sundress... i am so excited to see what yours looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Anna! Davvero molto interessante quest'intervista :) era un po' che non passavo di qui!
    Un abbraccio, e a presto :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete