Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Burdastyle Magazine 10/2012

Although typing the word "October" makes me cringe, the full preview is up on the Russian site of Burda, and since I don't have anything else to blog about this week, let's dig in!
This issue seems to have some very nice outerwear patterns:

I have a soft spot for military jackets and Burda periodically includes one; this one is not bad at all. The skirt is a pattern as well, a nice, draped twist on the pencil skirt.

I think this is the designer pattern of the month, but I don't know; I really like the proportions of this coat, the pockets, the collar and the little buttons. Of course the fact that it's made in black fabric and the terrible lighting of the picture make it impossible to figure out more about it.

This cape is in the plus size section (which I always neglect) and I find it super cute. I love the length and the arm openings, which make it much more practical.

I'm not 100% sold on this blouse, but at least it's interesting from a design point of view, a nice twist on collars.

Like the previous pattern, I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I wonder how much bulk all those bodice pleats/darts can create (assuming that's what they are) and how flattering they can be. I wish, ONCE AGAIN, that there were a better photo to show the garment. We should fill a petition and send it to the Burda headquarters asking for clearer pictures.
One thing is for sure, though: I hate the bell bottom sleeves, they scream early 90's and Medieval fair to me.

Gorgeous, gorgeous dress. I think this might look good on many body shapes, and it's so chic and effortless. That cowl is really beautiful.

And finally, a couple WTF moments, because we all love to hate:
NO. Just NO.

The pattern is not bad at all, but I had to comment on the photo. Length, fabric and styling are probably the ugliest, most unflattering combo I've ever seen.


UPDATE: Silvia kindly created a petition for a better Burda. Please sign it and let's make our opinions heard!

17 comments:

  1. Oh I'm loving that cowl neck dress! The jackets are lovely too. I've just subscribed so I'm very excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we should get a petition rolling because I always have a hard time looking a the construction of the garment from their photos. The cowl neck dress is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This preview doesn't sell this months burda for me
    in any way ... :S The cowl dress is cute but still not really sure... once againthe photo does not show it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that there was a different shot of the cape on the German site. The cape itself is not bad, but not an easy look for plus. I'm either a large regular or a small plus and I would not wear a cape this substantial. It's just too much fabric and I don't need to make myself look bigger! Also, pairing it with wide flared pants is just--well, wrong. Burda can be quite challenged in the styling area at times. On the whole though, this issue is not too bad. The double breasted coat is cute and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last one reminds me of my school formal...in 1991! eek

    ReplyDelete
  6. +1 for the petition. I think showing more conclusive pictures of the garment is a very easy thing for them to do and it will have a great impact on the magazine's popularity. I just can't think for a reason why they don't keep this in mind for ALL garments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the grey dress. As for the skirt...if you remove the pocket it can be a nice a-line skirt (then again the pattern is pretty easy to draft)...as for the last dress...it´s a shame they screwed up the beautiful 133 design from august 2012 to show it like this (they only changed the dart design, lenght and removed the short sleeves). I am totally in for the petition

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the petition. And the same for the last dress, it looked like it was styled so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh. I like them all! If I had to pick one though, it would be the cape, regardless if it's in the plus size section. Capes have an interesting silhouette that is a great alternative to a jacket or coat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I concur! I like the dress but those sleeves ARE horrible and the darts aren't clear in the picture at all. It really seems like they are trying to be more of a style magazine than a sewing magazine. I'm still trying to figure out the skirt and the kangaroo pouch...the illustration doesn't look much like the photo (to me at least). And the last dress has promise if it is shortened...but then again it seems the gathers of the skirt are very much concentrated on the front and that doesn't seem like it would be flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the second picture - the blak coat with collar. the rest i don't know... so repetitive patterns. i could see some of this patterns in other pattern sellers. though i don't claim an expert sewist but your reviews is really helpful for me. I agree with the petition for a better burda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MARSUPIAL SKIRT!! You can hide baby kangaroos in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! I'm impressed with the amount of long sleeved dresses!I always have trouble sewing for winter, it's so much more complicated! (and I'm not even takling about coats and jackets) I mean it's not often you see really nice long blouses that aren't button ups or jersey. and dresses are even more of an issue to me.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand why people wear capes, it seems so impractical and uncomfortable. even if their cute I don't ever see myself wating to wear something so heavy but with no sleeves (kind of like sleevless turtlenecks. I mean whats up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love that cowl dress and I have just the right fabric for it. I'll make sure to buy this issue of Burda. Thanks for the preview!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the dress where she is holding a glass in her hand, my impression from the magazine (which I don't have with me at the moment) was that the dress in that particular photo didn't have the darts in the bodice like the drawing, only in the skirt. The dress with the darts appeared to be a softer print fabric in the photo, similar to the skirt in the first photo. Also, I don't know if you are reading the magazine in Italian and perhaps it makes more sense to you, but the ugly purple fabric on the bottom I have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dress with the model holding the glass (pattern #108) has a pleated bodice and skirt, no darts. Recommended fabrics are soft and drapey, such as viscose and wool crepe.
    The ugly purple (or lavender, whatever) fabric is called cloqué. I had never heard of it either, but Wikipedia tells me it is "is a cloth with a raised woven pattern and a puckered or quilted look". I really thinks it looks horrible for this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And you didn't even remark on the model's cut off foot at dress 128...

    ReplyDelete