Saturday, January 11, 2014

Minerva Blogger Network: Black and White knit skater dress

Size: size 3, graded up to a 4 at the waist and hips.
Alterations: shortened the bodice by 3 cm.
Fabric: Black and white abstract print jersey from Minerva Crafts

I don’t know about you, but one of the main aspects of the Holidays in my household is EATING… a lot... which means I always end up with a few extra kilos in January.
So, for my January project of the Minerva Blogger Network, I though I should create something extremely comfortable and forgiving with my temporary extra weight: a knit dress! This is my equivalent of a pair of sweatpants, without sacrificing style and femininity.

The knit I chose has quite a lot of body and it’s not too stretchy, so it’s comfortable to wear, but it won’t highlight anything I might want to conceal in my midriff area, which is perfect. If you don’t like this print or these colours, Minerva has a HUGE choice of knits suitable for this type of garment, which you can find here.

For this dress, I went with one of my tried and true pattern, the Lady Skater dress by Kitschy Coo. I made this dress once before, so I knew that it was very fun and simple to sew. If you’re a beginner with knits, this is a great starting point, because the design is easy to fit but very flattering on any body type and the instructions are great, full of tips for sewing with this material.

Initially, I used the long sleeves, but they felt a bit overwhelming in this busy print, so I shortened them to elbow length, which is my favourite. I also shortened the bodice to hit me at my natural waist, but I’m afraid I went a little overboard, as now the dress is almost an empire waist. 

As far as the construction goes, I used black elastic to reinforce the shoulder line and the waist, a little technique that makes all the difference in the world in terms of durability of your garment. I also used my serger, but this dress is perfectly doable with just a regular sewing machine.
If you want to make this dress, there is a kit ready for you, containing all the necessary, as usual. It also includes ballpoint and twin needles to insure best results with your sewing machine! 


31 comments:

  1. Great dress, you're right that this style is flattering on practically everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this pattern in line to sew next...now I just need to find the time! I love the fabric you used for this one! And paired with your brown boots, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, maybe I have to get this pattern. Or at least modify a Renfrew to make something similar. This is amazing, and looks so comfortable. I love the fabric you chose, I'm so into abstract prints like this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a dress like that. No doubt. My family isn't really frugal with food during the holidays either haha :D. Problem is, that I bought a pricy knit fabric last year and I don't like it anymore. It's like a very very bright orange-thing-colour and I wouldn't want to be seen dead in it :s Guess it's time to go fabric shopping again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty dress! and the fabric is really awesome, too

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely fabric! Lady skater is perfect for January, x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone is making the Skater dress and it's so fun to see everyone's version. I love your variation and alterations. Good job, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should make a dress like this - so comfortable to wear while still looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I've bought this pattern since seeing your leopard print version...now I have to find the time to make it, because I know I'll love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are several examples of the Renfrew made into a dress here http://makingitwell.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/the-big-list-of-renfrew-mods.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabric is fabulous! I love how Lady Skater dress pattern can have so many different looks with different fabrics. I need to make another!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. I think my next pattern purchase will be this one. I keep seeing so many cute versions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how the same things look so different on different people. I tried that sleeve length but it looks weird on me. I like it on you though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great on you! I love it :) I actually think the waist looks really flattering on you this way. I feel like the waistline on the original pattern is just a little too low.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rachel @Sew Happily Ever AfterJanuary 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM

    Love it!! I have a question though - how does sewing the elastic in the shoulder seams work? I've read this in a couple other patterns and have been a little confused how that works!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is super cute! I have the pattern, now I am inspired to move it up the queue :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your versions of the Lady Skater! This knit is great! Glad you were able to find one you like on your side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is my dream dress!!! Just beautiful and perfect perfect fabric choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect fabric choice, and you look so comfortable! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so beautiful - the lighting in your photos and the dress :) I've just got the Lady Skater pattern and am hoping to make it up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So perfect! Killer fabric choice! It goes so well with this lovely, simple, feminine silhouette. I really have to make a lady skater...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that fabric. Another pattern to add to the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. seekatsew.wordpress.comJanuary 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM

    Love this dress ! So flattering on you. I can't stop making them either.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It definitely was for me! A high waist looks better on my shape, so you're probably right, I should keep this shorter length if I make another version!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I baste the seam at the sewing machine with a stretch stitch, then pin the elastic just outside this seam and sew it again with a straight stitch. At this point, I serge the seam: by doing this, the excess seam allowance is trimmed away and the elastic is "caught" in the seam.
    I hope it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  26. First time shooting at sundown... Definitely won't be the last! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous! I love how you have styled it too, with tights/leggings and boots!

    ReplyDelete