Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mod print Belladone + I'm on holiday

Pattern: Belladone dress by Deer and Doe.
Size: size 38 at the shoulder and bust, size 40 at the waist and size 44 at the hips (I wanted the skirt to be very flared).

Alterations: I converted the front neckline in a deep V-neck. It's roughly as deep as the V in the back.

Fabric: A cotton blend with some stretch, purchased locally.
When this post goes live, I'll be happily driving to the Riviera where I'll spend the next ten days. YAY holiday! I'm so happy that I'll be able to kick back in the sun (wearing my Bombshell swimsuit and maillot, of course), get a little tan and catch up with reading blogs and replying to comments. Sorry I've been so absent, lately.

Anyways, the 15th August is a festivity here (called Ferragosto), and the night before my boyfriend and I will attend, as per tradition, a big party at a friend's place. "Place" is an euphemism because these guys have a huge villa on the hills with a gorgeous view of the coast. All the guests are pretty much all affluent people, so this country girl was faced with the biggest dilemma of all: "What am I going to wear?"

Obviously, I reached for my trusted Belladone pattern... This is my third version (here are 1 and 2), and it won't be the last. I just adore this dress and it came together so fast (about 6 hours from cutting to wearing it).
To make this version a bit more summer and evening friendly, I decided to lower the neckline quite a bit and make it into a V, which is always flattering and it goes well w
ith the V in the back. Alas, the fabric I chose had a flaw, which I didn't notice until after cutting it, but luckily it just looks like a shadow in the back. Not too noticeable I think, especially at night time and after a few glasses of Prosecco.

Do you have any styling suggestions?
I think I'll wear these sandals, which are cute but comfortable (since we'll be a. drunk, b. up all night and c. dancing in a club by the beach). I'll put my hair up in a bun, add some earrings and maybe a bracelet and instead of this bright lip color (which, with the drinking and eating, might become a mess), dark smokey eyes and a nude lip.



I wish you all a good week and I'll leave you with the sweetest video you've ever seen.
Why? Because a couple days ago I had a close encounter with a baby deer in the very spot where I shot these photos and it was hands down the most tender moment in my life, so I have to share the love. Cuteness overload!

24 comments:

  1. So lovely. I had ummed and aahed about altering the neckline and am now very pleased you've posted this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this new, fancy Belladone version of yours. That open back piece gets me every time. Hope you have a lovely vacation and thanks for the sweet video. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress, I love the back opening, I must make a dress with it, too! *^v^* I'm sure you'll be the centre of attention at the party. Have a great time on your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's such a beautiful dress! And I just love your bright red lips (v jealous, bright lipstick is awful on me!) - but you are probably right with avoiding it for your party...which sounds amazing by the way! Hope you have a fantastic holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress! I love it! You would look perfect and sophisticated even if you wore a garbage bag, but this looks so sweet on you! I just cut out a second version of this dress-- it's such a pretty style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Have a fab holiday & party. I need to get a Belladone too I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress and beautiful fabric! Enjoy your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this color on you, and I'm loving the bangs pinned back! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Stitching OdysseyAugust 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM

    The dress and you look gorgeous! Have a fantastic holiday and I'm sure you'll receive many compliments about your dress at the party ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is gorgeous, and you'll look amazing however you choose to style it! Have a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy vacation! The back of that dress is just so pretty. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this deep-V version. It really works well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this v neck version! Wonderful :-) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. V neck is cool!! Love it! Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely! Also, the lipstick you wear in this post and the last one looks really awesome, but I see the point about the party, hehe. Would a really big, heavy necklace work with the dress? Otherwise, I always think big earrings are the way to go. Eitther way, you'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your V neck and I think it will be great with a necklace that has a pendant that goes just to the tip of the V. Have a lovely trip and enjoy the party! And yep, flats are the way to go on a beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hehe, feeling a bit jealous right now! Sounds like you will have an absolutely amazing time :-)

    I love how you changed the neckline to a v-neck, I think I prefer it to the original. And no matter how you decide to style it I know you'll look gorgeous as you ALWAYS do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So adorable, nude lipstick is the way to go.. maybe get a stain underneath that way it will last longer:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifull dress! Have an amazing holiday, I'm sure you'll look gorgeous with a glass of prosecco or maybe a Spritz? Thats my favourite summer drink :) I just finised my first Belladone and I love this pattern, I really like your v neckline..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bellisima! nice version of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great dress. I need to remember this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My laptop is torturing me, I can't see any images (on any blogs). I really wanted to see your dress :o( Hope you have a lovely party and a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your version. It's very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  24. pretty! i love this pattern and the fabric is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete