Saturday, June 29, 2013

Bombshell Swimsuit - Bikini Bottom Variation

Last time I posted photos of me in a swimsuit you were so incredibly sweet and supportive in the comments that I didn't hesitate a second to post these ones.
After all, I had to share this project, because it's AWESOME.


I spent last weekend at the seaside, at my boyfriend's apartment in a very small town in Liguria. I obviously brought with me my Bombshell swimsuit, but the day before leaving, I realised I also really wanted a two piece with me. I live in a country of people obsessed with tanning, so I succumbed to peer pressure and wanted to maximize the quantity of skin to put under the sun.
And just like that, I needed a flattering bikini bottom.
Now, if you're a pear-shaped lady like me and you have a big bum, you know that regular bikini bottoms will always and inevitably move around and show stuff you really don't want other people to see. You know, when you're trying to walk as graciously as you can in this tiny garment and it gets caught between your cheeks, and you just want to throw yourself in the water so nobody sees your ass? It's humiliating.
Rogue thread sticking out... Nice!
Since I was already familiar with the construction and I finally have a working serger, I finished my pair in about two and a half hours. Not bad at all.
I used the same black lycra as my swimsuit, I would have preferred some color but a. it was made on a whim and this was the only thing I had in the house and b. almost all my bikini tops go with it. 
I'm sorry you can't see the details too well because of the black, I tried to adjust the photos but this is the best I could do.

I felt so put together and glamorous at the beach, a joy that only someone that has really felt the pain of being incredibly uncomfortable in a bikini can truly understand. Thank you SO MUCH, Heather.

And speaking of the genius, she gave me one copy of the pattern for one of you, and that is:

Congratulations, Hannah! The pattern will be emailed to you directly.
Now you and everybody else reading this, go make a dozens of these swimsuits! If you're intimidated by it, there's a sew-along to help you out!

42 comments:

  1. Looks amazing on you! I agree, it's really flattering and very, very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so great, and like Sabs says -really flattering. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I've been wondering what this view looks like. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great!! I'm loving this pattern so much, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowza!!! So hot! You look like such a babe! I love the bikini bottoms - I have some leftover swim lycra and just might need to make this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! I've been wondering what view c would look like, thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for posting - I have been waiting to see View C on someone and yours looks so amazing - very flattering with any bikini top :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look amazing and the bottoms are amazingly flattering! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely bikini bottom! Making my own bikini will be something for next summer. And I 'm also blessed with a pear shaped body. Shopping for new swimming gear is terror!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are perfect bikini bottoms! I know that terrible feeling of being so uncomfortable at the water, and I love that this swimsuit pattern is changing your entire experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, this bikini is sooo fantastic! I've made and worn to the beach the halter top version of this pattern, am cutting out View A now and now officially plan to make the bikini bottom like you have. Thanks for sharing this... I haven't seen this view made up anywhere yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Stitching OdysseyJune 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM

    Gosh, this is such a flattering bikini Anna! The bottoms are so perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really, really cute! These are so much more flattering than the usual perma-wedgie bikini bottoms! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so freakin cool! I must make a bikini bottom version straight away. You look gorgeous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really like it! soo feminine and stylish!! I'm not so good at sewing to make one yet, I really would be able to, my bottom will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love. Love. Love.

    I don't think it's an understatement to say that this pattern makes everyone who wears it look like an absolute bombshell.



    I honestly was worried about the ruching on the butt when I'm very pear shaped but god you make them look good! Thanks for convincing me I need this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just ordered my fabric and supplies. Can't wait to make my own!! Yay!
    BTW you like great, yet again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We made the exact same bottoms! Such a great freaking look man. And I could not agree more about the.... unpleasantness of regular bikini bottoms on big booty-ed ladies. Horror show. I suspect we are swanning around in our high waisted Bombshells at precisely the same moment last weekend.... Btw did I email Hannah yet? I can't remember. If not send me her email and I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these gathered granny pants! They also look great on you. I am currently attempting a make at granny bathing suit bottoms in a giraffe print, of all things! We'll see how it goes....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute bottoms! I prefer more coverage for my bottom as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maider....MasustakJuly 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

    Love it! It´s a cute bikini with the differents parts in differents colors, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wauw It looks really great, I like how the buttom it looks like a mini skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ela sews and doesen't sleepJuly 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

    Thanks so much for sharing your pics with us. I just love how the bikini looks and especially that it is covering the belly. Great work! You look amazing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! Good luck on your version! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL perma-wedgie is THE BEST expression ever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks amazing on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhhh I LOVE those bottoms!!!!! I want a pair now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. you look MAGNIFICENT!!! i am chomping at the bit to get back to my serger and make eighteen of these!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Must. Have. This. Pattern.
    So amazing! thanks for sharing, you look like a bombshell!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know you posted this a year ago, but I'm only just now getting around to making my first Bombshell and I've been stalking sewers who've made it up. I have to say, your two versions are my absolute favorite! You look so stunning in both!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely love your version, and plan to make Version C as well! I was wondering if you made any adjustments to it? I've been scouring the internet for Version C's, and other people's look like the waist is higher up than yours (???). Did you shorten the length on yours? B/c I think yours is the perfect length! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete