Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Swing dress sew along: the fit nightmare


You can see in the photos my third muslin for this dress. It starts to look good, (if you ignore the wrinkles and the stiffness of the fabric) but I'm not satisfied yet. It looks unflattering in the waist area, but it's just because I didn't use interfacing, so the belt section is a bit wonky.
This is the first time I have so many problems with a pattern, I even convinced myself that I must have made some mistakes printing or assembling the pattern because everything (well, almost) in the fit was off.

The modifications I made were:
- shortening the front and back bodice pieces by 5 cm (and I'm not shortwaisted);
- lowering the neck by 2,5 cm (I also redrafted the back facing) because it was sitting way too high on my neck;
- shortening the skirt pieces by 15 cm (which is A LOT!) and adjusting the lenght of the side front piece because it didn't match with the other two panels.
It might not sound like a lot of work, but it took me the whole afternoon and evening of yesterday and, again, I never had to sweat so much for a dress...

Finally, I have decided that I don't like where the gathered parts of the bust are sitting, so I will move them a couple cm towards the center, but I'm too frustrated to make a fourth muslin, so I will do this on the actual garment and cross my fingers. Yes, I'm lazy like that, but this sew along has already made me much more persistent than I usually am... I would have already quitted if it wasn't for it! So, thanks Casey and fellow sew-alongers!


Italiano:
Nelle foto potete vedere la mia terza prova (qualcuno sa come si dice "muslin" in italiano?) di questo vestito. Comincia ad essere decente (se non si fa caso alle stropicciature e al fatto che la stoffa è piuttosto rigida), ma non sono ancora soddisfatta. Sembra parcolarmente brutto intorno alla vita, ma in realtà è solo perchè non ho usato un rinforzo e la stoffa è troppo molle.
E' la prima volta che ho così tanti problemi con un cartamodello; mi sono addirittura convinta di aver sbagliato qualcosa stampandolo o assemblandolo perchè non c'era niente (o quasi) che andava.
Ecco le modifiche che ho fatto:
- accorciare il pannello frontale e posteriore del busto di 5 cm (e non ho un busto particolarmente corto);
- abbassare il collo di 2,5 cm nella parte posteriore perchè era troppo alto sulla nuca;
- accorciare i pannelli della gonna di 15 cm (è tantissimo!!!) e modificare quello frontale laterale perchè non combaciava con gli altri due.
Magari non sembra troppo impegantivo, ma ci ho messo tutto ieri pomeriggio e ieri sera e, come ho già detto, non sono abituata a faticare così tanto per un vestito.
Infine, ho deciso che non mi piace dove rimangono le arricciature del busto, per cui le sposterò verso il centro di un paio di cm, ma sono troppo frustrata per fare una quarta prova e lo farò direttamente sulla stoffa "finale". Sì, sono pigra, ma questo sew along mi ha già dato molta più determinazione di quella che ho di solito... Mi sarei già arresa, se non avessi partecipato! Perciò grazie a Casey e alle altre che partecipano!

5 comments:

  1. It looks really good, so it will look great in the real fabric! I like your idea to move the gathers along too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sherry
    Thank you for your comment, today I looked the photos too much between the blog and flickr and I'm focusing too much on the negative details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think you have already done a great job and will definitely work out that gather 'problem'. :)
    Can't wait to see it with the original fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow third muslin!? i still need to print out the pattern.. im so behind.
    i think you've done a great job adjusting the pattern to your body!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @vivatveritas
    Thanks, Chie! Yes, I had a lot of time this week and this is the first project I'll publish on the blog, so I wanted to be extra careful :) I'm a perfectionist!
    You had to think about your mini collection, you'll catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete