Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Interview/ Intervista: Gervaise, creazioni di stoffa


A few days ago I got in touch with Sophie, whose creations for the brand Gervaise I've always loved. She was kind enough to answer a few questions about her and her creations.
(Il testo italiano è in fondo)

1 - Introduce yourself: tell us something about where you live, your origins, hobbies, etc.
My name is Sophie, I'm French and I've lived in Italy for 10 years. I like... to sew! I'd like to learn patchwork ma at the moment I don't have enough time.

2 - How did you start your business, Gervaise?
I started when I got to know eBay. I used to make fabric bags for me, as a hobby, and when I got acquainted with the Internet I thought that it could be an opportunity to sell my creations.

3 - How did you choose the name of your shop?
Gervaise is the main character of Zola's novel "L'Assomoir". I really like Zola, and I liked this name! I also chose it because Gervaise is a laundress and she represented for me all these jobs that no longer exist: laundresses, hatters... and who knows how many more that we are not aware of!

4 - Do you have formal training (sewing, design, etc.)?
I don't! I have a literature degree.

5 - Do your creations support you economically? If not, do you have another job?
They start to now. From a completely artisan production it's now becoming serial, though on a very small scale. Yet, it allows me to live off of it.



6 - What are your main sources of inspiration?
I have a book titled “La mode du XXeme siècle” by John Peacock, containing drawings of looks and accessories for every year of last century. Anyway, in general, I like vintage, retro looks and colorful fabrics.

7 - What are the main satisfactions you get from Gervaise?
Being able to manage my business freely, working when I want, even at night, if I want to! The other satisfaction is obviously to find my own audience, so to speak... Also meeting people who share and appreciate my taste and what I have to offer.

8 - How and where do you advertise your business?
Online, on Facebook, through my blog, on Flickr... I try to be on most social networks.

9 - Do you have any advice for who wants to sell or already sells handmade?
I have a lot to say in this regard! I don't think that "handmade" is an economically sustainable model. I started with handbags made by me because it was a possible solution and I had no choice. Considering the time I spent making each bag, the price I sold them for was ridiculous! Now I get partial help for the production, which gives me more time to search for new styles, advertise online and take care of my customers... I always have something to do!
Another thing I think is that, sewing a bag, it' not important if I sew it myself or if a professional does it. Actually, the professional gets a better result! It's different as far as embroidery and other crafts in which the machine cannot substitute hands are involved, the effect will never be the same.
Moreover, handmade is not always a warranty of "good-looking" and "well-made".

You can learn more about Sophie and her lovely creations at her Facebook page, where she's also just started a giveaway!



1 - Presentati: raccontaci qualcosa di te (dove vivi, le tue origini, hobbies, ecc).
Mi chiamo Sophie, sono francese e vivo da 10 anni in Italia. Mi piace…cucire! Vorrei imparare a fare il patchwork ma per ora mi manca il tempo.

2 
- Come hai iniziato con la tua attività, Gervaise?
Ho cominciato quando ho conosciuto eBay. Facevo delle borse di stoffa per me, come hobby, e quando sono stata a contatto di internet ho pensato che potesse essere un’opportunità per vendere le mie creazioni!

3 
- Come hai scelto il nome del tuo negozio?
Gervaise è la protagonista del romanzo di Zola “L’assomoir” (“L’ammazzatoio”). Mi piace molto Zola, e mi piaceva questo nome! L’ho scelto anche perché Gervaise fa la lavandaia e per me rappresentava tutti questi piccoli mestieri ormai spariti, la lavandaia, la cappellaia… e chissà quanti ancora di cui non siamo nemmeno a conoscenza!

4 
- Hai un'istruzione formale (cucito, design, ecc)?
No! Ho una laurea in letteratura.

5 
- Le tue creazioni ti supportano economicamente? Se no, hai un altro lavoro?
Ora comincia. Da una produzione puramente artigianale sta diventando seriale, anche se in dimensione veramente piccola. Però questo mi permette di viverne.


6 - Quali sono le tue principali fonti di ispirazione?
Ho un libro che si chiama “la mode du XXeme siècle” di John Peacock, rappresenta a disegni tutti look e gli accessori che andavano nel secolo scorso anno per anno. Comunque, in generale mi piace il vintage, i  look retro e le stoffe colorate.


7 - Quali sono le maggiori soddisfazioni che ti dà Gervaise?
Poter portar avanti la mia attività liberamente, lavorare nei tempi che voglio, anche di notte se mi va!
L’altra soddisfazione ovviamente è trovare il tuo pubblico se così si può dire.. incontrare persone che condividono ed apprezzano il tuo gusto e quello che proponi.


8 - Come e dove ti fai pubblicità? 
La faccio online, su Facebook, col mio blog, su flickr… cerco di essere presente su la maggior parte dei social network.

9 
- Hai qualche consiglio per chi vuole vendere o vende handmade?
Avrei molto da dire a proposito! Non penso che il “fatto a mano” sia un modello economicamente sostenibile. Il fatto di aver cominciato facendo le borse da me ma è stato una soluzione per iniziare e perché non avevo altra scelta. Infatti considerando il tempo che dedicavo ad ogni singola borsa, il prezzo a cui le vendevo era irrisorio! Ora mi faccio aiutare in parte per la realizzazione, il che mi lascia più tempo per  cercare nuovi modelli, farmi pubblicità online, occuparmi dei clienti … il lavoro non manca!
Un’altra cosa che penso e’ che, nel cucire una borsa , il fatto che lo faccia io, oppure un professionista, non cambia niente. Anzi, al professionista gli riesce meglio! Diverso il discorso se si parla di ricamo o altri lavori artigianali in cui la macchina non può sostituire la mano,  l’effetto non sarà mai lo stesso.
Inoltre lo handmade non è sempre una garanzia di “Bello” e “Fatto bene”!

2 comments:

  1. what an inspiring interview! thank you for posting this paunnet! ;)

    i love the bags she makes. they are so feminine and unique. i have not heard about her shop until i read this. thank you for introducing her shop to me:)

    xx
    chie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are instances where we see surprising opportunities along the way. For Gervaise, she's got the internet to thank for in inspiring her to start her own small business. What's surprising in her case is that her degree is way different from what she does now! As long as she continues doing what she loves, this small gig of hers will really make her financially stable. Besides, there are a number of resources for business people like her to get some support from.

    ReplyDelete